How to stop smoking in 6 easy steps!
- Consider why you smoke. What do you get from it? Stress relief? Or just smelly breath and clothes? Is it a means of getting a few more sneaky breaks at work or is it part of your image?
- “But I’ve always smoked!” No, actually, you haven’t. No-one comes out of the womb chuffing a pack of Bensons, so no matter how long you have smoked for, you CAN have a healthier future.
- Get some help. You don’t have to do it alone. John was the first dentist to undergo training with the Northern Ireland Cancer Foundation as a smoking cessation counsellor. He can help point you in the right direction if you want to get help with breaking your nicotine addiction.
- What would give you most pleasure from stopping? Living longer to see your children grow up? Avoiding giving the government more indirect taxation? Come to think of it – how much money would you save over a year if you stopped? Average pack of cancer stick costs about a fiver. 1 pack a day. 365 days in the year. That’s nearly £2000! What could you buy with that money?
- What gives you most pain from continuing to smoke? The thought of mouth cancer? The smell of your breath or clothes? Gum disease? An empty wallet? Have you ever lost someone you know to cancer?
- What are the odds? (Shocking statistics alert!) In the UK alone 114,000 people died in 2007 due to smoking related disease. That’s like a plane full of people crashing every day. Yet, a little bit of ash in the air and the entire aviation industry of the UK is halted. Think about that next time you’re tipping ash out of the end of your cig. Why doesn’t the government do something? Well actually they have, banning smoking in public buildings, workplaces etc. Maybe it’s time to get the hint.
Take action now! Do yourself a favour and ask about our Stop Smoking Plan.